NHL Revealed: A Season Like No Other premiered Wednesday night, albeit late, on NBCSN and with the Islanders in the Coors Light Stadium Series they are one of the teams featured on the show.
Below are some thoughts — in no particular order — on the Islanders portions of the show’s debut:
– It was special to see Kyle Okposo beaming from ear to ear when talking about becoming a father, and just as special to see him take his wife to the hospital to deliver the baby. You could tell he was nervous, but still excited. A well done segment… not to invasive, but a touching look at the birth of Okposo’s first child. His mother-in-law also gave us the inside scoop as to what, or should I say who, has motivated Okposo on the ice this year. We also got to see a quick glimpse of his father and sister.
– The rare look inside the Islanders dressing room before and during was quite the sight. Everyone always wonders what Jack Capuano sounds like when he is talking to his guys in the room and fans got a small sight of that.
– John Tavares… What else is there to say. Obviously the main focus because he is the face of the Islanders franchise. The show seemed to play up, maybe a little bit too much, the drama of Tavares not having Okposo on the ice with him during the game against Dallas. Not sure how much drama there really was, but from gauging twitter fans really enjoyed seeing him “praying” at Mike Bossy’s plaque outside the Isles dressing room.
– Tavares mentoring Ryan Strome in between periods was something that stood out and referee Frederick L’Ecuyer say that he was “complaining” was amusing.
– Something that was tough to see, but just as amusing was Evgeni Nabokov bowing down to Tavares in the Isles room after the win over Dallas. It was quick, so if you blinked you missed it.
– JT has really stepped into the captain role. He is very vocal on the ice and in the room. Can’t say I’m surprised one bit.